Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Also, recently I've been noticing the... ignorance, willful or not, of some of the people I consider friends. And it BOTHERS me - but part of that bothering is that I am unsure how to help them see/if I can help them see/ do they want to see?

One, about advertising and the messages it sends - reading into the subliminal messaging does not make me paranoid, it makes me aware. Ignoring, or downplaying the effects and messages when they are brought to your attention? Makes me worry.

The other, about the concept of feminism as a whole, and specificially feminist theories being unfair.

Plus that the males in my life don't seem to value the reality of being a woman in this society - whether it's cracking jokes when I ask them to check in with me, or make sure to lock the door, or not realizing (and not trying to realize) how much of my life is constrained by the fact that I am a woman living in a rape culture.

And, within my own head, not knowing how to talk about this with them, how to HAVE a discussion with them about it. Wanting to explain and not knowing how - feeling apologetic for bringing it up? That's levels of fucked up brainwashing in effect that I can SEE happening.

I just don't know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment